Thread: Trying to ld a program (assembly language)(make executable from .o)

Beans

Unhappy Trying to ld a program (assembly language)(make executable from .o)

I have a small test program written in assembler. It assembles fine. The command "ld wins6.o -o wins6 -lX11 runs, without error message. When I then try to run the resulting program, ./wins6, I get "No such file or directory". I look at the executable file, best I can with the editor and dolphin, and can see nothing wrong with it. Any suggestions? Further info: This is on kubuntu LTS. The program has a call on XOpenDisplay.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Trying to ld a program (assembly language)(make executable from .o)

I've never used ld directly. I always use gcc as the compiler to also link programs.

Also, I've never done ASM on x86 that wasn't inline to a C program.

Code:
    $ gcc -o wins6 wins6.o -lX11
    would be the expected linker. The location of the libX11.so file would be in a default directory, so gcc would find it. If not, specify the full path to the file.

If that created the wins6 file, but it doesn't run, I'd use the file command to see what type of header the program has.
    Code:
    $ file wins6

Beans

Thank you for your help, TheFu. It is the right approach. You started me down a long journey, which ended up working. I still got error messages, but experimentation led me to the final additional touch: adding "-no-pie" in the gcc command line solved the last problem.

Thanks again.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Please "Thread Tools" ---> "SOLVED".

Help the community here. It would also be nice if you posted the exact, working, link, command.